The Operations Manager is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the Los Angeles and Santa Ana offices, including, but not limited to, the following duties:
· Oversee and manage the hiring, training, development and discharge of all staff in Los Angeles and Santa Ana. Assist with and administer the hiring, training, development and discharge of all attorneys in Los Angeles and Santa Ana.
· Promote teamwork, inclusion and the firm’s Core Values in Los Angeles and Santa Ana offices. Provide leadership, motivation and a positive presence.
· Prepare annual staff evaluations, conduct review meetings with HR Manager and make recommendations for salary adjustments/bonuses, as budgets allow.
· Conduct staff, paralegal and secretary meetings as necessary, and coordinate with various Management Team members to ensure consistent application of policies and procedures in all locations.
· Approve PTO (Paid Time off), overtime and make up time, including coordinating vacations and coverage, for the staff in Los Angeles and Santa Ana. Participate in setting annual budget.
· Coordinate the administration of all leaves of absence, workplace injuries and investigations with the HR Manager.
· Provide employee counseling and administer discipline, in coordination with HR Manager, COO and/or Managing Shareholder(s).
· Promote compliance with the Staff and Attorney Handbooks and ensure these efforts are documented when necessary.
· Oversee and manage secretarial/paralegal workflow and coordinate timekeeper/secretary assignments.
· Oversee and manage all facilities related departments (production/records/reception) and the associated vendor relationships in Los Angeles and Santa Ana. Promote production department as a profit center and analyze reporting to ensure same. Participate in the annual budget setting process for these departments.
· Assess Litigation Support needs, make recommendations re: same, and oversee litigation support efforts and associated vendor relationships. Participate in the evaluation of litigation support programs and assist with training.
· Attend and report at monthly attorney meetings, communicate regularly with Los Angeles and Santa Ana shareholders and participate in quarterly Management Team meetings.
· Attend quarterly Executive Committee meetings.
· Promote the Firm’s benefit programs and provide answers to questions.
· Work in collaboration with all Management Team members to ensure various firm campaigns are understood, promoted and successful in Los Angeles and Santa Ana. Examples of firm campaigns include social events, informational meetings, changes to benefits, retreats, requests for information, etc.
· Resolve conflicts and/or challenges within the Los Angeles and Santa Ana offices. Act as liaison between teammates in Los Angeles/Santa Ana and teammates/Management Team members in other offices.
· Provide on-site IT support as needed (including after-hours).
· Ensure the office space is well-maintained and presentable at all times. Act as the primary contact for the Building Management Office(s) and ensure the firm is perceived as a favorable tenant.
· Travel between Los Angeles and Santa Ana on a regular basis in order to maintain a presence in both locations. Travel to San Diego as needed.
· Ensure all office equipment is well-maintained and evaluate requests for additional equipment. Secure approval for the procurement of new equipment when necessary.
· Analyze office supply expenditures (firm wide) and recommend alternatives/new vendors when needed. Maintain office supplies vendor relationship.
· Oversee Librarian’s role and provide support as needed. Participate in annual budgeting process, and oversee online research contract negotiation. Provide research assistance as needed.
· Ensure proper accounting controls are employed in Los Angeles and Santa Ana and sign checks in Los Angeles.
· Coordinate the hiring process for attorneys firm-wide, including, but not limited to the following duties;
· Obtain approval and post ads,
· Collect, pre-screen and distribute resumes to the appropriate individuals;
· Conduct phone screens and make interview recommendations.
· Coordinate interview process and distribute materials as necessary;
· Coordinate determination of offer details with the Managing Shareholder and Salary Setting Committee
· Coordinate offer letters, and conflict and background checks
· Coordinate orientation dates
· Process rejection letters and keep records in accordance with the Firm’s retention policy.